Tuesday 26 August 2014

The old George dam


I love hiking! 

There is an infinite amount of dirt, un-whiffed smells around every turn and tons of tiny critters to chase. 

My one human always freaks out if I dart off after other animals. I’m not quite sure why. Maybe it's because I’m fast and she’s slow and that makes her jealous. Who knows?

We decided to hike from George to an old dam close to the George Peak in the Outeniqua Mountains. 

This dam used to supply water to the town years ago. I guess the humans found some other way to fill up my drinking bowl. 

The hike is about 8km from residential areas like Heatherlands and Glen Barrie.

I like these suburbs. They are filled with my fellow dogkind; I can sing the song of my people.

The dam itself is fairly eerie and the water is dark brown like that Cola drink. Apparently this is due to its high tannin content filtered from the surrounding plants.
I like plants. 

The adventure

Place: George Dam, Outeniqua Mountains, Western Cape

Map: Link 

Activities:
  • Me: Running, chasing guinea fowl, barking at monkeys, rolling in mud and swimming.

  • Humans: Hiking, picnicking, swimming and washing mud off me.  

1 comment: